Quoting Pinky*ILuvTinks( .Y. ):“ How do you guys do watermarks, lol. i just did this for watermarks on my pictures.... ETA: i want to know how to fade them so they don't ruin the picture so much.”
I read couple posts down that you use Gimp, which is what I use. You want to make the text an overlay.
1) Type the text you want to use as the watermark in a text layer.
2) Find the Layers, Paths, Undo window (should already be visible, but if not press CTRL + L and it will open).
3) With the text layer selected, locate where it says Mode in the Layers, Paths, Undo dialog.
Click the arrow to drop down the menu, and select Overlay from the list.
This will make your text an overlay layer. You can then add a drop shadow in a light color to make it slightly more visible, and also add a bevel if you choose.
Another way to make a watermark:
1) Type the text you'd like to use as a watermark.
2) Make sure the text layer is selected, and in the Layers, Paths, Undo dialogue move the opacity slider until the text is as light/dark as you'd like.
These are the easiest ways I know to make them. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Oh, and I was going to ask you, how did you do the eyes in your assignment pic?