Quoting I love Kenzi:" be careful. mil's dryer did the same thing and set her house on fire. total loss"
at our old duplex our dryer got hot to the touch and wouldn't dry clothes. Then the thing broke and when we were waiting for our new dryer to be delivered we pulled the old one out and saw some water. I was a little confused. But didn't look too much into it. We got the new dryer installed, the neighbor comes over to tell me there is gurgling coming from the dryer vent. So I called a duct cleaner. Cost me $100 and they cleaned out the duct. Our vent ran from the bathroom/laundry room under the house and outside. So we couldn't do it ourselves. The guy pulled out enough sopping, dripping wet lint to fill 2 plastic grocery bags. I guess that is one of the main causes of house fires.
You're supposed to clean them once a year. Thank goodness our house goes straight from the dryer outside and is just an arms length so we don't have to hire anyone again.