Refer to this thread for the back story: http://forum.baby-gaga.com/about2435118.html
Well, the cranio/facial office put me on a list to get in sooner if there are any cancellations. I told the woman at the office that I would only have Tuesday's and Thursday's available due to Aaron's work schedule.
She called on Monday in an attempt to get me in on Tuesday, but I missed the call, and by the time I got in touch with Aaron to see if I was available to go, the office was closed, and it was a missed opportunity.
I got another phone call today for an opening tomorrow. Called everything, and it is a go. Spoke with her on the phone a second time today, asking her if a post dated check could be accepted since payday isn't until next Friday. Thankfully that was also accepted.
After getting off the phone with her, she called me back within minutes asking me for my insurance information so she can make a phone call to give me a general price range of what I will be paying. This place is awesome. I am not too happy about the total price of 300 + an additional 20 if they put a splint in place and that will cover all of my care there. BUT, I am now waiting on a phone call to see what kind of a payment plan can be made out of that. Right now I put an offer on the table for 50/biweekly. (It was that or rescheduling my appointment for the 19th as it originally was)
She called me back again to tell me the office manager said DO NOT reschedule my appointment, and to come in and we'll work out a payment plan. This place seems rather persistent when it comes to patient care, and as frustrating as it probably was to speak with me on the phone, she continued with amazing customer service. I think I am going to like this place!