I'm gonna call H&R block tomorrow.
But I did read this on Turbotax
Who is eligible to take the American Opportunity Credit?
There are a few requirements
necessary to qualify
for the American Opportunity Credit
- You paid qualified education expenses for higher education.
- You paid education expenses for eligible students.
- Eligible student is you, your spouse, or dependent for whom you claim an exemption.
- Your modified adjusted gross income is less than $90,000($180,000 if married filing jointly).
You are not eligible
to claim the American Opportunity Credit if any of the following applies:
- Your filing status is Married Filing Separate.
- Taxpayer is listed as a dependent in the exemption section on another personís return.
- You and your spouse were non-resident aliens.