Quoting BreeLynn(::" Im just wondering What are all the types of ways they can induce you? which one is the best?"
1) stripping membranes - increases hormone production that can trigger labor. feels like a vigourous vaginal exam, but you must be slightly dilated to do it
2) AROM - artificial rupture of membranes or breaking your water. feels like a really rough vaginal exam, but again you have to be dilated for it to be possible
3) mechanical dilation - Inserting a catheter balloon into the cervix and forcing dilation can trigger labor and is like stripping membranes on steroids - very old school and not used as much now.
4) cervical rippening - cytotec, cervidil or a prostin gel is inserted vaginally (or sometimes taken orally with some meds) and that stimulates that "early labor" style contractions that cause thining of the cervix and slight dilation, but can put you into full blown labor. This is used when you are not dilated at all/ much and often pitocin is used after it
5) pitocin - artificial oxytocin. your body produces oxytocin naturally and that hormone causes contractions/labor. and this is asynthetic form of that and is given via IV and titrated until your contractions are appropriatly frequent and strong. works best with a rippened cervix (achieved either naturally or with a cervical rippening agent)