Colic is a weak valve between the large and small intestine. Since this valve is weak it allows gas to travel backwards through the digestive system. With that said colic is not an overly fussy baby. Colic is a word to describe a terrible stomach ache.
I had a daughter with colic, when she was 2.5 weeks old we found out about Doc Scharenberg he is a local chiropractor who amazingly turns out to live in Wichita, KS (so do we) and has been treating colicky babies for over 30 years.
When our daughter was about 5 weeks old she was completely colic free. I know Wichita is a little far to travel, but he is working on creating educational information for people out of the area so he can train mom's to do the treatment he created. Give him a call and see if he can help you 316-945-0075.
Until you can get in contact with him here is some helpful advice he game my husband and I.
1. NO gas drops. Colic is an underdeveloped valve between the small and large intestine. It allows gas to travel backwards through the digestive system causing tremendous pain for the baby.
2. Use body language to determine if your baby is hungry or in pain. Kicking legs, pulling legs up to chest, pulling hair scratching face are all signs of pain. Flailing arms are hunger. If your baby is throwing up chances are it is over fed.
3. Diet. If you are breastfeeding Doc has a diet that needs to be followed, if contains only non gassy foods. This will help prevent your baby from being in more pain. You can find the diet at docscharenberg.com/coliccure.html
4. No swaddling. I know it is against everything you read, but if you do choose to swaddle do it loose. Imagine if you were in pain, would you want someone to wrap you up and prevent you from moving? Chances are no.
5. Use a bouncy seat in place of a bed. Babies with colic will not sleep laying flat on their backs. Make sure you strap them in. If you have enough money there is a Nap Nanny that would work as well.
6. Bounce. Bouncing your baby will help relieve some of the gas pain in their belly.
7. CALL DOC save your baby from the pain.
If you are hesitant at all about the truth behind this Doc has a colic support group on facebook and all the moms can testify to his treatment. www.facebook.com/ColicSupport.