Quoting DZ&JZ:" Im sorry to intrude upon any conversations, but I am hoping to get some quick, easy, and total NEWB advice ... [snip!] ... completely new, and your previous intro pages to the CD Rock Bitches is just TOO much information to comprehend."
Check out the 1st page - the OP.
It has majority of the info you want
to answer your questions without info overload..
1. prefolds & covers are probably the cheapest option.
2. PUL is a waterproof backed fabric - diaper covers, pockets, aio, a12 have that to stop the diaper leaking out onto clothes
3. not all are waterproof, fitteds/prefolds you need a cover for.
4. depends how often you want to wash .. if you wash every 2 days you'll need 12 diapers plus about 3 or so for wash time.
5. planet ark aware - i know a lot use country save.
4. i dont do co-ops.. if something goes wrong with the diaper i dont think they have to rectify the issue like a manufacturer/WAHM most likely would.